Monday, October 4, 2010

It is what it is...

We spend so much of our lives trying to understand things.  So many things happen and we spend countless hours trying to figure out why, and what caused it, and what we could have done different.  Sometimes we just need to take a step back and realize that shit happens and it is what it is.

I am probably one of the most guilty of us all for trying to figure out the whys of everything.  I like to get to the bottom of things and understand what really happened.  I know i dig deeper and deeper trying to get the true "understanding" of any given situation.  But even I, yes I, need to step back and just accept things for what they are.  Not everything in this lifetime needs to be understood to the fullest. Some things are just gonna to happen to us and we're going to have to find a way to deal with it and move on.  That's what life is all about, learning to accept the things you cannot change and change the things you can.

I know my limitations.  I may not always be willing to accept them, but at least i recognize them and I know when I'm pushing myself beyond my limits. I'm learning that some people have no idea what their limitations are and they consistently push themselves beyond their limits and then get upset with themselves for not being able to rise to the occasion.  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  The hardest person to ask for forgiveness is yourself.  We are our own worst critiques in the worst way.  We see our own flaws like a neon light and we downplay our assets.  I realize that true friends come in handy not just for accepting us with all our faults, but for reminding us of our greatness.  Learn to listen to your true friends like you listen to your instincts.

No comments: